Thursday, October 28, 2010

MyPhone: proudly Filipino-made

Since I am the type of person who tends to lose things inside a bag, no matter the size, I keep thinking a phone with a dual sim capacity is just what I need. Because it would mean one less thing to put inside my bag. Seriously, if my mom were to see the insides of my bag, she would end up asking God where she went wrong with me.

Depressed with the Pathology final exam, I went ahead and bought the cheapest but hip looking MyPhone, their newest Q19i dual sim phone. Since its still a relatively new release, they were selling it for P1880. I was informed that they would be raising the price as soon as the promo period ends, as to the question of when that would be, the saleslady had no idea. 

The phone pretty much lived up to its expectation: dual sim and hip looking. Yeah. It had its 15-minute of fame. Several people gawked and asked if they could check out the features. But thats just it. Its usefulness  can be sum up with its two functions: texting and calling.

The dual sim was perfect for me since I never had to bring a second phone for my Sun number. But thats just about it. No wifi. No BLUETOOTH (geeezz!!). No respectable camera even! I mean, if they had to put applications that need internet connection such as Facebook, MSN, Twitter, why the hell would they not think of putting a wifi capacity on it at the same time? If they had to put a camera, why the hell would they not think of putting a bluetooth functionality as well? And if they had to put a media player or an ebook reader, why would they not think of putting an actual software that would enable the phone to read a .pdf or an mp3 file. I could put up with VGA camera. I could even put up with the fact that it had no bluetooth capacity. What I could not put up with is the fact that they do not have a pcsuite installer for Windows 7 yet! How am I going to transfer my low-resolution pictures from the phone to the notebook? It is common knowledge that most Filipinos use prepaid, which means they run on tight budgets. So what makes myphone manufacturers think that Filipinos are ready to pay their providers just so they could  tweet or facebook when we have cheaper internet cafes for that?

Even as I write this, I realize that I am only getting what I paid for. I wanted a cheap dual-sim phone without considering the consequences of not having a blue-tooth or a wi-fi. Uugghh.. But I just really have to ask, is common sense too much to ask for from our Filipino phone manufacturers?